The Farmhouse

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dog Days

Well Fletcher has arrived.  His father has not moved in yet, but, Fletchy Boy is here.  Pardon me while I ...yawn.  I am exhausted! First let me say this - Fletcher is a good puppy.  He doesn't chew, is housebroken and pretty mellow...but...oh my...he is a lot of work.  Let's rewind to Sunday, or as I refer to it the day the #*#! hit the fan.  Josh and I took Fletcher to see the vet.  We had been noticing that he walks in a "unique" way.  We thought he may have hip problems, so we had him x-rayed.  I noticed a quite strong odor emanating from him as well, oh and his ears smelled, too. Here is what the vet had to say:

Hips fine.  Knee "totally messed up". I quote.  He doesn't even know what to make of this knee.  Could be a birth defect, could have had a trauma (?), not really fixable.  He has adapted to it and seems to get around just fine, in fact when he runs, he is almost graceful. We will just have to see how he grows and deal with it when something changes.  He also had double ear infections and a hot spot under his chin.  A mess! Guess who his nurse is? I think his ears are cleared up now and the hot spot is much better.  These problems are probably a result of going to doggy daycare. I love my son, but, he really didn't do his homework on owning a Newfoundland.  It's a lot of maintenance. Lots of hair that needs to be brushed, etc.  Oh my.
But look how cute.


So now that I have this baby.  Here is brief synopsis of our day:
Pee
Poop
Eat
Drink Lots O' Water
Pee
Poop
Water- again
Slobber
Brawl with Bella
Pee
Poop
Water
Eat
You get the idea!
His first day here I stayed home all day, but yesterday I wanted to get out of here and ride my black pony.  I was very wary about leaving him in the house, but Josh assured me he would be fine.  Cliff bought a baby gate and I put him in the mud room and went riding. I was a nervous wreck the whole time I was gone and of course I got behind every slow moving farm vehicle in the county as I was rushing to get home to see the damage that may have occurred. I put the key in the front door and was greeted by a baby gate laying on it's side and two dogs peacefully snoozing in the kitchen.  I guess it's hard to keep a Newf behind bars.  Come to think of it - he used to break out of his crate when he was a baby.
But look how cute.  Hopefully we will adapt, but, I am too old for this!  What we do for our children.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment