The Farmhouse

Monday, December 2, 2013

Random Thoughts


Well Thanksgiving came and went and we have now been living in The Farmhouse for a month, give or take a day or two.  We have now had people over twice and even had the prodigal son (and puppy) and prodigal nephew sleep over. We have had family and friends stop by to see what we have been doing for the last 6 months. We are loving living here and have been busy making The Farmhouse into a home.  We have taken on several small projects around the house and I would like to share one of these said projects.  
Our fireplaces both have Blue Stone hearths.  The installer told me I could make the stone look darker by applying boiled linseed oil.  He also warned me that linseed oil is highly combustible so I needed to be very careful when disposing of any rags associated with applying the oil.  I was hesitant to try it, but after Cliff assured me he would turn the pilot off, I decided to go for it.
Here is what the hearth looked like before linseed application:


After Linseed Oil:


I loved the way it looked!  So pleased with my handy-work.
Went out to dinner at a friends and came home to this:


Hello?  The stone is absorbing the oil! How many coats of this stuff must I apply?   I tried looking it up, but couldn't find the answer.  I called the Fireplace shop and I am waiting to hear back. Triumph to disappointment in a few short hours.  Oh well...

On to other things we go.  Since we have downsized when we moved to this home, I am finding it hard to fit all of my cherished "things" into the smaller space.  One of my "cherished things" is my Gramophone.


This is older than The Farmhouse!
This was invented in the 1800's by Thomas Edison and played music by use of a cylinder attached to a revolving mechanism. No electricity was used, the crank on the side made the power.  They called the large horn a Morning Glory and it was believed to produce better sound than it's smaller counterparts.  We had trouble finding a place for it, but it is now residing in the dining area!

I am still looking for a spot for my Russian Samovar. This was passed down from my mother's family.  It was used as a tea service back in the day( not sure when - have to investigate).  I will get a picture of it.

I can't sign off without mentioning the puppy.  Fletcher spend two days with us and boy is he busy!  


Bella seems to like him, but is a little frustrated trying to play with him since he is so small.  Sadly after his time here he had an accident and broke his tiny toe!! Oh poor little baby.  He is now sporting a bandage on his back leg and the vet said he should be fine in 2 weeks. Josh is getting a real education on the fine art of puppy raising!
 
We are continuing our renovations with the addition of garage doors and new windows.  I will keep you apprised.
Thanks for stopping by.


No comments:

Post a Comment