The Farmhouse

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Am I Larry David?


When one purchases an old Farmhouse one must also purchase many things for the Farmhouse.  Cliff and I have spent many days at Lowes and Home Depot and various other stores buying necessary things to make this place livable. While we are very functional now we still need odds and ends on a daily basis.  Which brings me to my latest adventure in The Real World or as I call it - Am I Starring in a Sitcom?
As you know, we have a beautiful shower with a glass surround on two sides.  I was researching about the best way to clean the doors and most sites said that a squeegee was the way to go.  I trotted right over to my local Home Goods (no monies were exchanged for the shout out to Home Goods) to purchase a squeegee.  Wow - I was thrilled the next day when I finished my shower and squeegeed my heart out!  It's quite a thrill to squeegee in the nude!! Cliff was given explicit instructions that he too must squeegee after showering.  He said he was glad to oblige.  What a good boy :)  Anyway, image my horror when only one week later he handed me a broken squeegee. I was very sad, I couldn't believe this fine piece of craftsmanship was broken!  Armed with my now broken squeegee, I trotted back to Home Goods to return it.  One problem - I didn't have the receipt or the packaging as I didn't think it would be rendered useless in only one week. I approached the counter and stated that I would like to return this piece of crap - no- really I looked pathetically at the sales clerk and said, " Please refund my $10 for this fine piece of useless junk!"  Well she wasn't having it - no receipt - no refund! Really?? OK, I trot on back and purchase another squeegee, only problem was they didn't have the same kind.  Being that my mind works like a steel trap, I decide I will purchase this one and use this receipt to return the broken one.  Smart huh?  Enter Larry David time. I trot on back to Home Goods  a few days later (notice all the trotting I do?) wait in line , approach the sales clerk and proudly present my receipt and the broken squeegee.  She takes it from me and goes into a corner and huddles with another employee for several minutes.  Uh oh - the gig is up! She saunters back over and looks me in the eye and says, " This is the squeegee you tried to return the other day.  I waited on you." Larry, Larry do you hear this??  Now I had two choices, I could run out of the store in shame, or I could stand up for myself as an American consumer who willingly buys inferior  crap from China.  I stood tall, looked her in the eye and said, "Yes. you are right, I did return the old squeegee, but only because I feel it is my right to a refund!  She then begrudgingly said she would give me my money back.  I thanked her profusely, maybe a little too profusely. Such is my life.  I am happily squeegeeing again.

Today we had our first snow at The Farmhouse.

I also am happy to report that I applied another coat of Linseed Oil to the hearths and they look great.

We are really enjoying the gas fireplace.  It heats up the whole first floor, except the bedroom which is freezing!   When the fireplace is on the heat doesn't come on.  Cliff says we need to balance "the system".

In other news, baby Fletcher got his bandage off and seems to be just fine.  Due to inclement weather we didn't see him this week, but Josh reports he weighs a whopping 18 pounds.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment