The Farmhouse

Sunday, January 5, 2014

What Lies Beneath

As a new homeowner I am  trying to be very diligent about maintenance around the old homestead. My last home had a well and I swore up and down that I would never, ever own a home with a well.  WELL...I lied - we have a well...again.  With a well comes a multitude of maintenance issues that must be followed. One  such task is changing the water filter in the basement.  Uh oh - I don't like that place!  Cliff said he needed my help and he wanted to show me what to do in case he decided to move to Florida.  So we headed on down to the basement.  Now our basement is not what you'd call civilized, it's more like a cellar.  To get down to the basement you must first open the hatch door.

Once the door is opened you must scrunch down (think hunchback) and walk down to the bowels of the Farmhouse.
The new heat pump.  Repair man must be under 3 feet tall.
Look at these stone walls.  Cliff says these walls are at least 2 feet thick.  Is this good or bad?  Not sure, but it's held the Farmhouse up for almost 100 years!
Cliff showing me the filters and such.
Here is a good view of pipes and other "stuff".

Remember back in the summer when they saw the black snake.  Here is where he was living.

Now it's all nice and clean and snake free!
And that my friends is the basement. Oh yeah - the best part?  Cliff couldn't get the old filter off of the pipe.  He turned and turned , but it was stuck on tight!  Guess we will be calling a plumber.  I told you I didn't want a well :)

This is the part of the program where I must confess my utter obsession with my new "grand pup".  I think I may have a problem.  

Is he not the cutest thing ever? Am I biased? I think not.  Is it weird that I pray that my son will call and say he is coming over (with the baby), not that I don't want to see Josh - I do - but that baby!! I even passed up riding Kitty to stay home and see him.  Help! We stayed home New Years Eve to babysit.  Of course I wanted Josh to have a fun night - it wasn't because I wanted the baby for myself :) What's happening to me?  And more bragging - Bella loves him too!  She is the perfect playmate for Fletcher.

Don't let that face fool you.  She loves him. The wrestle and chase until they are exhausted.
Of course after he goes home we collapse, too.  Then we clean!
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment