The Farmhouse

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Beloved Bella

Tomorrow Bella turns Three Years Old.  For those of you who don't know the story of how Bella came into our lives I will brief you.  For 21 years our family had Bernese Mountain Dogs.  We owned 3 Berners over 21 years.  Do the math - while a wonderful breed of dog, they are not long lived.  Our first Berner was Duncan.  He only lived 3 years until he came down with cancer.  Our next Bernese was Dakota and he lived to the ripe old age of 12.  This is very long for a Berner.  Finally, there was Tucker.  Tucker was much loved and very popular as he often went to Josh's lacrosse games both at high school and college.  Sadly at the age of 6 Tucker was diagnosed with kidney failure and went quickly.
I must also mention my "heart dog" Timber.  An Aussie/Lab mix who lived for 14 fantastic years.  He lived with both Dakota and Tucker.
Timber was my once in a lifetime dog. I can't say any more.
Now back to Bella.  After losing Tucker we just couldn't get another Berner. Maybe one day in the future, but after that loss we thought it time to try a different breed.  I searched online day and night looking for my next love.  One day I opened the newspaper and saw an ad for a 6 month old Golden Retriever.  The ad stated she was sweet and housebroken!  I went downstairs and told Cliff that I had just found our next dog.  We went to meet Bella at her home in Phoenix, Maryland.  She greeted us with a blue stuffed elephant in her mouth and we fell in love.  Her "parents" decided they were not in "the mood" for a puppy.  Our gain! We brought her home the next day and she has been my sidekick since that day in March.  I can't describe the joy that this Blondie brings to my life. We walk together, she goes to Starbucks with me and every night we have "love love time" - I know it sounds weird, but really it's just time for her to lay in bed with us and talk about our day :) When the lights go out she has to hop off and sleep on her own bed.  Bella has made me a better person. We joined Pets On Wheels and Bella became certified as a Therapy dog. We visit the elderly at Weinberg Village.  I can not believe the joy she brings to the residents. Before Bella I never really saw myself as someone who would visit with elderly people, but I find I really enjoy talking to them and listening to their stories about their past pets.  I know if I am ever in a "home" and a dog is coming to visit I will be the first one in line! Bella also participates in Agility class weekly.  If you've never seen dog agility look it up.  It's a lot of fun and good exercise, too.
We even competed in 2 agility competitions. If you ever want a good laugh go watch an agility trial.  It's basically a bunch of middle aged (or older) woman running around with dogs.  Crazy stuff, but good clean fun.
I have been accused of animal abuse.
OK - I like hats on dogs.
And horses!
OK I admit I may be just a touch kooky.  But come on you know this is funny.
Anyhoo - I just wanted to let you know about my Bella.  If you love a dog, then you get it.

The Farmhouse is coming along, too.  Just felt like writing about my canine child on this the eve of her birthday!
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment